Monday, March 07, 2011

it is, it was, it shall be

There are things you'll learn about me, one of them being that I will not buy it if I think I can make it. Or I will not buy the mass produced item, I will just find what I want at a thrift store and turn it into said item.

Exhibit A:
IMG_5177_spoonrest.jpg
A vintage and really cute old trivet that isn't exactly even close to my kitchen color scheme. In fact it would clash, a lot. But I love the wrought iron and I love the uniqueness of it, so for $1 I gave it a go and thought, I can make it marvelous...

Exhibit B: {Which used to be Exhibit A, not to confuse...}
IMG_5235_spoonrest.jpg
A really marvelous new spoon rest that flows perfectly with my current love of all things turquoise/robin's egg blue. A more modern twist and all it took was a single coat of spray paint and a new tile {created just like our tile coasters} glued in place. Who knew I could get a custom-made spoonrest...

3 comments:

embee said...

Cute! I like how you can see the pretty in things from something not-so-pretty :)

Rebecca said...

Did you have to prepare Exhibit A in any way for the paint to adhere well as in Exhibit B? My fear of spray paint is all the prep work to the original piece. Please say you just did a spray and go. Pleeeeease.

tinkerwiththis said...

Actually Rebecca, it WAS a spray and go! the original was in pretty good shape though. if yours has rust i would recommend a quick sanding and a primer coat of rustoleum spray. if no rust i would just go for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...