Tuesday, April 20, 2010

craft-a-long twenty ten: project two FINISHED!

IMG_8748_apron.jpg

i know, i know, i jumped on the 'ahead-of-time' bandwagon. i had a few hours to myself this past weekend after company drove away and the husband went to work SO i decided to carpe diem.

i actually designed the whole thing around my backing fabric, which is recycled chino from a pair of pants i turned into shorts for the summer. it's sort of a strange color, so the trick was matching fabrics for the patchwork. i used up the scraps from the trees and roosters fabric {love} and added more basic complimenting scraps to avoid visual overkill. i always feel patchwork is a struggle, so i cross my fingers and hope it turns out right. i actually love this one, i think everything works great together and i love the bright patch of green to liven things up.
IMG_8752_apron2.jpg
i did alter the craft apron tutorial a bit. i eyeballed the patchwork, according to the things i wanted to store in the pockets, and added a custom-made bias tape around the whole apron. then i used some recycled cotton ribbon from a rugby shopping bag for the straps.

i'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but i had a hard time getting used to actually using the thing! i mean, i was still trying to track down my scissors instead of just remembering to put them back in my pocket each time i used them. however, i do love the idea of having an apron that stores all my essentials to just pick up each time and go...

want to see a couple of other early finishers?!? you can see kelly's kitchen apron and andrea's ruffled apron and maybe grab some inspiration for your own! who's still doing this with us anyway?

10 comments:

carrie said...

this is cutest apron ever!! love all the handy pocketing!!

Anonymous said...

LOOOOVE IT! I hope I can do this project half as well!

Andrea said...

love the patchwork, it came out great. The bias binding really adds to the finished look.
Does it bother you when you sit down with crafting stuff in the pockets? Or are the pockets low enough that you don't feel them?

tinka stinka said...

thanks yous guys!

andrea - i thought of that too, but everything seems to fit just fine when i sit down. i thought i would be stabbing myself with my scissors but i keep the protector in the pocket anyway to avoid them going through the bottom and ripping a hole.

Melissa said...

Ooh la la!! :o)
I really do like it...and I agree that it must be handy to have all your supplies in one place when it's time to start sewing. Plus, when you live in an apartment the size of a mailbox, you need to stay organized! :o)
Well done!

Melissa said...

Andrea, I read about one craft apron where the lady made her pockets at an angle so the craft items weren't poking her in the thighs each time. I like that idea. Another would be to line it with some oilcloth or something rigid...but probably easier to just make the pockets at an angle. :o)

embee said...

I'll be finishing this one, I promise...

daisygirl said...

Nice! Love the apron!

Anonymous said...

ooo me likey! and such great fabrics you chose.

Unknown said...

So, i actually did this project, and finished it, and it came out ADORABLE if I do say so myself. However, you all may never see it because I have no idea how to put the pic's into flikr, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...